Download VTK from
Now follow these steps:
1. Make a VTK folder where VTK will be installed and build
2. Make two subdirectories inside VTK folder .Name them src and bin .
3. Extract all files of downloaded VTK zip file into src
4. Open Cmake GUI
5. Enter path of src into Where is the source code:
6. Enter path of bin into Where to build binaries:
7. Click Configure. If compiler selection window popup then select compiler for example if you are building for 64 bit choose 64 bit compiler(Caution: 64 bit VTK Build require 64 bit Qt library for that you can refer our Qt installation 64 bit post).
8. Click on Checkbox adjacent to VTK_USE_GUISUPPORT [as shown in Figure1].
9. Click Configure.
10. Click on Checkbox adjacent to VTK_USE_QVTK [as shown in Figure2].
11. Check for DESIRED_QT_VERSION. It should be set itself otherwise write 4 [as shown in Figure3].
12. Click on Checkbox adjacent to BUILD_DOCUMENTATION [as shown in Figure4].
13. Under Build uncheck BUILD_SHARED_LIB.
14. Now click configure again and generate
15. Now check for VTK.sln in bin folder and build it in Visual Studio.
Using QVTK Widget in Qt designer
· You have to built VTK in release mode, it should have generated a library file called lib QVTKWidgetPlugin.dll. [only if you are using VTK5.0 for other version you have to keep BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON]
· Copy this dll in the [QTinstallDir]/plugins/designer/ directory, the QVTKWidget should show up at the bottom of the Widget Box (that list of widgets panel on the left in Designer).